Location: Leiden, Intrastat, NL, 2333 CN
Company: IFF Family of Companies
IFF is very excited to welcome a new a Scientific Data Engineer to join our Data Science and Lab Automation team at the Leiden BioScience Park (Oegstgeest section), and we hope it’s you!
IFF is a global leader in biotechnology; in early 2021, the company consolidated its leadership position by merging with DuPont’s Nutrition & Biosciences division. The IFF laboratories in Leiden have a long and dynamic history that goes back to the beginnings of modern biotechnology (Gist-Brocades), through pioneering industrial enzyme technology (Genencor), to becoming the world market leader in sustainable bio-solutions (Danisco).
IFF Health & Biosciences develops microbial production strains and engineer enzymes for applications in the areas of food & beverages, home & personal care, animal feed, paper & textile processing, and more. We have a strong focus on providing sustainable solutions on an industrial scale, and we are constantly evolving and innovating to offer competitive high-end products to our international customers.
The Data Science and Lab Automation team builds and maintains software to enable biotech R&D at scale. We automate data acquisition, ensure its integrity and use machine learning for rapid hypothesis generation and testing. We are looking for an experienced data engineer with a keen interest in both modern software development and biotechnology to help us bringing better products to the market faster.
At IFF in Leiden, we do strain development and protein engineering at high-throughput tracking the history and measured data from thousands of samples at a time. We use modern lab automation software and a suite of microservices to propel an end-to-end data-driven research cycle.
As a successful applicant, you will be part of a diverse and international team of domain experts and engineers that work towards the common goal of delivering novel products and real value for our customers. You will do full-stack computional biotechnology by developing algorithms for data analysis and automation workflows to support testing hypothesis in a structured and portable fashion.
Your main responsibilities and tasks
• Develop and maintain microservices to support lab automation --- gather data from instruments, analyze and push data to our SaaS lab information management system.
• Create tailored data analysis solutions e.g., sequence and image analysis, curve fitting for instrument readouts.
• Safe, secure, and robust CI/CD of containerized services to AWS.
• Ensure data is structured, accessible and complete to enable efficient data science.
• Establish modern software development practices and help educate scientists and engineers.
• A position in a team of creative and highly skilled scientists
• A dynamic work environment created by inclusive and multicultural team
• The opportunity to grow professionally and to develop a career in Biotechnology
• A competitive salary and attractive compensation and benefits
• Flexible hours and possibility to partially work remotely
• A bachelor or master's degree in a relevant technical field (machine learning, computer science, mathematics, bioinformatics, etc.) and experience working in industry, or a PhD
• Ability to write high-quality, structured, and maintainable code.
• Experience with server-side programming in Python.
• Experience with machine learning algorithms such as neural networks, projection-, and tree-based regression methods.
• Ability to design data models and use (no)SQL to implement these.
• Experience with deploying apps and models on local Docker Swarm cluster, AWS or similar.
• Fluency in spoken and written English.
• Prior experience with analyzing biological sequences and biochemical data is desirable but not a requirement
We emphasize reaching goals through a collaborative effort. It is essential that you can use your good interpersonal and communication skills to achieve results together with others.
IFF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
At IFF, we believe that your uniqueness unleashes our potential. We value the diverse mosaic of the ethnicity, national origin, race, age, sex or veteran status. We strive for inclusive workplace that allows each of our colleagues to bring their authentic self to work regardless of their religion, gender identity & expression, sexual orientation, or disability. Visit IFF.com/careers/workplace-diversity-and-inclusion to learn more