The Cluster of Excellence “Balance of the Microverse” at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Germany, combines expertise in life, material, optical and computational sciences to elevate microbiome studies from descriptive to hypothesis-driven and functional analyses. Our core mission is to elucidate fundamental principles of the interactions and functions in microbial communities in diverse habitats ranging from oceans and groundwater to plant and human hosts. We aim to identify the shared characteristics of disturbed or polluted ecosystems as well as infectious diseases on the microbiome level, and develop strategies for their remediation by targeted interventions. Our full spectrum of expertise in the physical and life sciences will be leveraged to address these important issues in natural habitats as well as synthetic arenas in a collaborative manner.
The research group of Prof. Dr. Thilo Figge
invites applications for a
Postdoctoral Position (m/f/d)
to conduct research on the project „Quantitative Analysis of Microbial Dynamics in Organ-on-Chip and Animal Models
• Implement algorithms for automated analysis of microscopy data, to provide a quantitative analysis of cell-cell interactions and to quantify microbial dynamics in model systems.
• Contribute to the development of project direction, as the project evolves.
• Produce high-quality written reports and draft papers.
• Present your results at local meetings and national and international conferences.
• Assist with training other researchers, including Masters’ and undergraduate project students, where required.
• Assist with the teaching activities of the group where required.
• A highly motivated individual with knowledge in computer vision
• A PhD in theoretical physics, bioinformatics, computer science or closely related fields; candidates in the final stages of obtaining their PhD are eligible to apply
• Desirable skills: experience in processing microscopy images using methods from both traditional image analysis as well as machine learning
• Keen interest to work as a theoretician on the quantitative interpretation of experimental data generated within the interdisciplinary Microverse Cluster
• The ability to work creatively and independently towards developing your own research project
• An integrative and cooperative personality with enthusiasm for actively participating in the dynamic Microverse community
• Excellent English communication skills, both written and spoken
• A highly communicative atmosphere within an energetic scientific network
• A comprehensive mentoring program and soft skill courses for early career researchers
• Jena – City of Science: a young and lively town with a vibrant local cultural agenda
The two year full-time postdoctoral researcher position (100% TV-L E13) will be funded through the Excellence Strategy of the German federal and state governments. The Hans Knöll Institute Jena is an equal opportunity employer and part-time contracts can be discussed.
Applications in English should comprise a cover letter, a detailed curriculum vitae and copies of academic certificates. Selected applicants will be invited to a recruitment meeting in Jena on 30-31 August 2021.
Please familiarize yourself with the currently available postdoctoral projects (www.microverse-cluster.de) and the application process as described in the Online Application Portal. Please submit your application via the JSMC Online Application Portal, under the vacancy ID 06/2019 by 3rd August 2021: https://apply.jsmc.uni-jena.de/