- Published: Tuesday, 20 September 2016 09:52
Duration: 7 - 9 December 2016
Location: Munich, Germany
In a Nutshell:
- Learn the essential computing skills for NGS bioinformatics
- Understand NGS technology, algorithms and data formats
- Use bioinformatics tools for handling sequencing data
- Perform first downstream analyses and find differentially expressed genes
Scope and Topics:
The purpose of this workshop is to get a deeper understanding in Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) with a special focus on bioinformatics issues. Advantages and disadvantages of current sequencing technologies and their implications on data analysis will be discovered. The participants will be trained on understanding their own NGS data, finding potential problems/errors therein and finally perform their first downstream analysis (differential gene expression). In the course we will use a real-life RNA-seq dataset from the current market leader illumina.
All workshop attendees will be enabled to perform important first tasks of NGS data analysis themselves. The course layout has been adapted to the needs of beginners in the field of NGS bioinformatics and allows scientists with no or little background in computer science to get a first hands-on experience in this new and fast evolving research topic.