Published: Tuesday, 15 May 2018 07:41
As a Federal Research Institute and independent higher Federal Authority under the Federal Ministry for Food and Agriculture, the research of the Friedrich-Loeffler-Institut (FLI) focusses on the health, nutrition, housing, genetic diversity, and welfare of farm animals.
The Institute for Bacterial Infections and Zoonoses in Jena offers a position as a
PhD in Bioinformatics („Doktorandin/Doktorand“)
with 65% of the weekly working time for 36 months starting as soon as possible. The employment will be based on the Federal Civil Service Act (TVöD) and its related regulations. In case of fulfilment of the relevant requirements, the salary will refer to TVöD 13 (east).
The applicant will be responsible for
Implementing Pipelines for the automatic processing of data from Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS) of Salmonella and Campylobacter isolates with the aims of:
1. Genotyping and outbreak analysis
2. Characterization of plasmids
3. Prediction of resistance to antibiotics
4. Determination of genetics reasons for resistance to antibiotics
5. Processing of metagenomics data
The successful candidate has
- A PhD in Bioinformatics, Systems Biology, Computational Biology or similar fields
- Knowledge in bioinformatics programming (Snakemake, Shell,R/Python/Perl, …)
- High communication skills
- Experience with Linux-servers
- Experience in analyzing WGS data (Spades, Prokka…) and metagenomc data (Kraken, Metaphlan…)
- Experience with genotyping methods (cgMLST, canonical SNPs…)
- Experience in the prediction of plasmids (plasmidfinder, …) and resistances (resistancefinder, CARD…)
We offer the possibility to gain deep theoretical knowledge and practical experience in the above-mentioned fields and thereby to help spreading of dangerous human and animal diseases. Moreover, we offer the possibility to graduate at the Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics at the Friedrich-Schiller-University, Jena.
The Friedrich-Loeffler-Institut dedicates to increase the proportion of female employees. Applications by women are therefore encouraged. Individuals with disabilities are preferred in case of equal qualification. Only a minimal level of physical qualification is required. Part of the work falls within security areas, which requires both; a security check according to German law (Sicherheitsüberprüfungsgesetz) and special health protection protocols. Personal and health eligibility is therefore required.